Thursday 2 December 2010

Dear Father Christmas

My daughter, my partner and I have been writing letters to Mr Claus. I thought it was about time to manage expectations - last year (at the ripe old age of 3 1/2) she became convinced she'd get a wishing box after having seen it on Disney's little einsteins late on Christmas eve. She woke up in the morning and went through the presents getting more and more disappointed... it was so bad she eventually started trying to hide her disappointment.

We eventually worked out what she wanted - a green box with red ribbon and a toy cat inside. So simple to fulfil if we'd only known!!! So this year it's letters to Father Christmas.

So why am I writing about Christmas on an allotment blog? Well, I've asked for seeds but also a book about chickens. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years now and think I'm going to take the plunge.

So, what do I need to get? A book for starters (although there are several chicken coops on our allotment, including my neighbour Tom so I should be able to get lots of advice and help). A hen house. Now there's a tricky one. I was quite keen on an eglu or eglu cube http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php. But have also seen this type of chicken househttp://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/chicken-houses.htm which I think looks quite good.

And the last, and most important question is: What type of chickens? I quite like the look of Buff Orpingtons and understand that they are nice hens. I've been told to get Rhode Island Reds as they are good layers. But I'm a bit stumped. Perhaps it will be down to what is available in my area?? Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment